Although Google has owned the .new TLD for a long time, it’s been over a year since Google has started using the extension to bring different shortcuts to G Suite customers. If you had ideas of using this TLD to bring more creative options to customers, then you would be glad to know that the company has announced that other sites will be able to register domains and as a result, will be able to use the shortcuts very soon.
In case you didn’t know, Google went further than just using the extension to provide web addresses. Several products and services already use the extension as shortcuts. But in a new blog post Google wrote that the extension will make it easier for everyone to ‘take action faster’.
In the blog post, the company outlined some of its most favorite ways to use the extension:
- Playlist.new: Create a new playlist to add songs on Spotify.
- Story.new: Write about what matters to you on Medium.
- Canva.new: Create beautiful designs with your team.
- Webex.new: For an easy, fast, and secure way to start your personal meeting room from any browser, try this shortcut from Cisco Webex.
- Link.new: Instantly create trusted, powerful, recognizable links that maximize the impact of every digital initiative using Bitly.
- Invoice.new: Create, customize and send customer invoices directly from the Stripe Dashboard.
- Api.new: Prototype and launch your ideas for new Node.js API endpoints with this shortcut from RunKit.
- Coda.new: Simplify your team’s work with a new doc that combines documents and spreadsheets into a single canvas.
- Music.new: Create personalized song artwork for OVO Sound artist releases, pre-save upcoming music, and play the latest content with a single click.
- Cal.new: Create a new Google Calendar event right from your browser.
The company also said how other companies can register to use the extension to bring their services. It wrote, “Similar to .app, .page, and .dev, .new will be secure because all domains will be served over HTTPS connections. Through January 14, 2020, trademark owners can register their trademarked .new domains. Starting December 2, 2019, anyone can apply for a .new domain during the Limited Registration Period. If you’ve got an idea for a .new domain, you can learn more about our policies and how to register at whats.new.”